May 22, 2022
The Oil & Gas Production Technology program is designed to provide individuals with the knowledge and technical skills needed for entry-level positions in the oil and gas and related industries. The oil and gas industry hires these highly skilled individuals for multiple field and office positions.
- Graduates will understand the concepts and terminology of the oil and gas industry
- Graduates will be competent with the operation of the different equipment that is used by the oil and gas industry.
- Graduates will be able to apply critical thinking in making decisions and solving problems.
- Graduates will understand how to communicate effectively–written, oral, and nonverbal.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates completing the Oil and Gas Production program will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an understanding of offshore safety and compliance standards and regulations applicable to deep-water production and facilities.
- Describe the components and processes involved in the drilling and producing of oil and gas.
- Explain exploration, production, and operation concepts associated with the oil and gas industry.
- Demonstrate competency with the operation of electrical equipment, hydraulics, pneumatics and fluid dynamics equipment; pumps and compressors; oil and gas instrumentation equipment; and oil and gas processing equipment.
- Effectively diagnose, communicate, and troubleshoot equipment malfunctions.
- Demonstrate and apply skills necessary to gain employment in the drilling, production, service and safety segments of the oil industry.
Associate of Applied Science Technical Studies - Oil and Gas Technology
Students interested in an associate degree should visit Technical Studies, AAS for more information.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn a Technical Diploma Degree in Oil and Gas Production from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have no more than one-third credit hours in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 45
- OGPT XXXX Major Elective 3 Credits
CTS: Oil and Gas Production Helper I Total: 17
CTS: Oil and Gas Production Helper II¹ Total:16
TD: Oil & Gas Production Technology Total Credits: 45
A grade of “C” or higher is required in all courses.
1 CTS: Oil & Gas Production Helper II is awarded after a student has earned a “C” or higher in the following courses: OGPT 1020, 1030, 1100, 1110, 1120, 1130, 1300, 1400, 1500, 2100.