Sep 22, 2023
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technical Studies is designed to provide students an opportunity to earn an associate degree in areas in which the college does not offer specialized degree programs. Upon completion or simultaneously with the technical diploma, a student will complete fifteen credit hours of general education courses. Students building on a previously conferred/awarded technical diploma from an accredited institution must have their degree assessed and approved for equivalency by the appropriate college dean before enrolling in the Associate of Technical Studies program. The program is not designed for transfer, but it is designed to prepare students for immediate employment.
- To enable students to acquire occupational competencies in a specific technical education field along with basic general education competencies.
- To enable students to develop unique career goals and marketable skills for the workplace in the chosen field.
- To provide students an opportunity to transfer the general education courses to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state of Louisiana.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies will meet the Program Learning Outcomes of their individual major area and the General Learning Outcomes of the college.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies from South Louisiana Technical College (SLCC) must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have no more than one-third credit hours in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
General Education Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 15
Major Area Requirements - Total Credits: 45
Students with a previously conferred/awarded degree that is related to the degrees areas below (example: Oil and Gas Engineering) may be eligible to complete the AAS Technical Studies program. Degree equivalency must be assessed and approved by the appropriate college Dean before the student enrolls in the program.
Major Area Options: Visit the Technical Studies Degree Plans Here Degree Plans 2020-2021
Division of Business, IT, and Technical Studies
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Powered Equipment Technology
- Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technology
- Industrial/Agriculture Mechanics Technology
- Machine Tool Technology
- Oil and Gas Production Technology
Division of STEM, Transportation, and Energy
- Industrial Marine Electronics Technology
- Nondestructive Testing Technology
Associates of Applied Science: 60 Credits
Must have a grade of “C” or higher in all courses.