2019-2020 College Catalog
Louisiana Transfer - Humanities Concentration, AALT
The Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer (AALT) is a transfer program. It provides opportunities to acquire knowledge in a broad range of subjects, with an emphasis on the social sciences, humanities, and fine arts. A degree will be awarded upon the completion of a 39 credit hours General Education block, which is the core of the Louisiana Transfer Degree, as well as an additional 21 credit hours block of related courses, for a total of 60 credit hours. The courses required for the general education block are listed below. The remaining 21 credit hours should be completed within the subject areas of social sciences, humanities, and fine arts, respectively. Students who have completed this degree (AALT) will be granted upper division (junior) status at a Louisiana four-year public university. In summary, the Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees:
- Admission to a Louisiana 4-year public university
- Transfer of all 60 credit hours; Junior-level standing
- Completion of General Education block requirements at any Louisiana public university
- Equal opportunity to compete against ‘native’ students for admission to limited access programs.
The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree does not guarantee:
- Admission to every university or degree program; A student must meet institutional or degree program admission requirements (e.g., GPA, specific course completions, etc.)
- That the courses taken for the transfer degree will meet specified course requirements of the major.
- All students who might be considering an eventual transfer from one institution to another should develop, with an advisor’s assistance, a written degree plan of courses to take. It is the student’s responsibility to choose courses that will best prepare the student for a specific college and major and to complete the baccalaureate in a timely manner.
- To enable students to acquire the general education competencies and cultural relevance expected of an Associate of Arts graduate.
- To provide students with the opportunity to concentrate in social sciences, humanities, or fine arts, thereby connecting core knowledge and skills to discipline-specific information
- To offer coursework that will allow students to transfer with minimal or no loss of credit to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer Degree will:
- Apply analytical and critical thinking skills in order to effectively participate in written and oral communication at a level consistent with four-year institutions
- Display the ability to access, evaluate, and use information from various sources in order to manage communication and research tasks at a level consistent with four-year institutions
- Demonstrate an awareness of the complexity, significance, and interdependence of science, culture, and the arts.