Apr 02, 2020
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technical Studies is designed to provide students an opportunity to earn an associate degree in areas in which the college does not offer specialized degree programs. All students will complete fifteen credit hours of general education courses. The program is not designed for transfer, but it is designed to prepare students for immediate employment.
- To enable students to acquire occupational competencies in a specific technical education field along with basic general education competencies.
- To enable students to develop unique career goals and marketable skills for the workplace in the chosen field.
- To provide students an opportunity to transfer the general education courses to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state of Louisiana.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies will be able to:
- Perform basic mathematical functions needed to solve problems related to the chosen subject area.
- Communicate effectively using written English to produce coherent documents.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety procedures and practices, safety equipment, regulations and reporting requirements.
- Understand basic management skills such as decision-making, planning, quality control, and effective communication.
- Use computers to access resources and to manipulate information.
- Identify and interpret the data.
- Demonstrate competency in the chosen subject area concentration.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies from South Louisiana Technical College (SLCC) must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have earned two-thirds of credits in degree-required major courses at SLCC and have no more than 50 percent of total degree-required credits from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Area Requirements - Total Credits: 45
Complete a Technical Diploma in a technical area that does not offer an AAS degree
- Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Powered Equipment Technology
- Industrial/Agriculture Mechanics Technology
- Machine Tool Technology
- Nondestructive Testing Technology
General Education Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 15
- ENGL 1010 3 Credits
- MATH 1105 3 Credits
- Social/Behavioral Science1 3 Credits
- Humanities2 3 Credits
- Natural Science3 3 Credits
Associates of Applied Science: 60 Credits
Must have a grade of “C” or higher in all courses.
1Choose from Anthropology (ANTH), Criminal Justice (CJUS), Economics (ECON), Geography (GEOG), Political Science (POLI), Psychology (PSYC), or Sociology (SOCI).
2Humanities options: HIST, 2XXX ENGL (except ENGL 2045 and 2070), or CMCN (except CMCN 1170, 1270, and 2145).
3Choose from Biology (BIOL), Chemistry (CHEM), Geology (GEOL), Physical Science (PHSC), or Physics (PHYS).