Sep 22, 2023  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Assistance

Student Financial Assistance

At South Louisiana Community College, we want to provide students with the best financial service possible. In order to be considered for assistance for non-federal, as well as federal funding sources, students must complete the FAFSA and submit any requested financial documents and/or forms.

To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at (SLCC’s school code is 039563).

South Louisiana Community College participates in most major federal and state financial aid programs; additional detailed information on student employment, loans, grants, and scholarships may be secured by contacting the Student Financial Aid office. Student financial assistance is available at each college location to provide convenient customer service.

The Office of Financial Aid will communicate with students via email and Log On Louisiana (LOLA). It is the responsibility of the student to monitor SLCC’s email and his/her LoLA account regularly, as well as any email address provided when completing FAFSA. If students would prefer not to receive Financial Aid communications and award notifications via email, they must contact the Office of Financial Aid for other options.

The Application Process

At South Louisiana Community College, students are encouraged to carefully explore all financial aid options with a Financial Aid Advisor. To start the process, students must:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at
    • (SLCC’s school code is 039563).
  2. Check the status of FAFSA application through LoLA and submit ALL required documents.
    • Su bmit completed forms to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Please allow two to four weeks from the submission date of last document for administrative processing but may be longer during peak times (i.e., Registration and Advising).
    • If tax transcripts are required, choose the IRS Data Transfer (DRT) tool on the FAFSA or
    • request them directly from the IRS online at (under Tools, choose Order a Tax Return Transcript), or by calling 1-800-908-9946
  3. Accept awards online
    • Once aid is processed, students will receive notification via their SLCC student email address
    • Students are asked to accept or decline each federal subsidized and unsubsidized loan via their Log On Louisiana (LoLA) account. No funding will be disbursed without this acceptance confirmation. Students may accept all or partial of the aid offer.
  4. Disbursement
    • Disbursement of funding is necessary for school tuition and fees to be paid.
    • After tuition, fees and authorized charges are paid, if there is a remaining credit balance, those funds may be utilized in the bookstore (Book Voucher).
    • Students can check their account balance by logging in to LoLA.
  5. Receive Refund
    • Refunds are funds paid to a student that are based on the credit balance remaining after tuition and fees and other applicable charges have been paid.
    • A negative balance indicates a refund is due.
    • All student refunds will be issued through Bank Mobile(formerly Higher One)and students are required to select refund preference via BankMobile. (formerly Higher One). For more information on refunds and Bank Mobile (formerly Higher One) please visit:

Financial Aid Eligibility

In general, a student must meet the following requirements to qualify for Title IV Financial Aid:

  1. Demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans);
  2. Be a high school graduate or have a high school equivalency diploma from a state department of education or regionally accredited institution or demonstrate eligibility for Ability to Benefit Title IV funds through (1) successful completion of six non-remedial credit hours or a qualifying score on an approved Ability to Benefit (ATB) Test;
  3. Be either a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen;
  4. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program;
  5. Make satisfactory academic progress in a course of study;
  6. Not be in default of any educational loans at any school attended; or if in default, must have made satisfactory repayment arrangements;
  7. Not owe a refund on grants at any school attended;
  8. Register with the Selective Service. If required, the student can give Selective Service permission to register him by checking a box on the FAFSA. He can also register through the Internet at the Selective Service website:;
  9. Have a valid Social Security Number

General Information

South Louisiana Community College has a comprehensive financial assistance program to help meet the cost of education. The College offers the following student financial assistance programs:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  • Direct Subsidized Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans for Parents
  • Veterans Benefits

Financial Assistance is the economic assistance available to help students meet the difference between what they can afford to pay and what it will actually cost to go to school. This assistance is provided in one of the following forms:

  1. Grants - Grants are a form of non-repayable assistance. Grants are awarded based on the student’s need and availability of funds.
  2. Scholarships - Academic scholarships are awards based on academic achievement. Participation in student activities or special talents are required for Leadership Scholarships. Scholarships do not have to be repaid.
  3. Loans - Loans are financial awards with a low interest rate made to students attending at least half-time, which must be repaid to your lender. Repayments usually begin 6 months after graduation, withdrawal from school, or when a student drops to less than half-time. All first-time loan recipients must complete an online entrance counseling session at before receiving student loan funds. In addition, SLCC’s Federal Default Management Program requires that all funds for first-time loan recipients be delayed thirty (30) days from the first day of class.
  4. Employment - Employment opportunities are provided through the Federal Work-Study Program, the Federal Community Service Program, and the Campus Work-Study Program.


Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is an entitlement program. It is awarded to help undergraduates pay for their college education. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back. Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree are ineligible for a Pell Grant. To qualify for a Pell Grant the student must have financial need and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program on a full- or part-time basis. The maximum award is distributed over two semesters.

Pell Lifetime Eligibility Limit

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over a student’s lifetime is limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Because the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student receives each year is equal to 100 percent, the new regulations state that a student may receive up to 12 semesters or the six year equivalent of 600 percent.

Whether a student has used all of his or her Pell Grant eligibility or only a portion, the student needs to be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes; the Pell Grant equivalent of 600 percent will be for the student’s entire award history.

To view Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU), students can log on using their Federal Student Aid PIN to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at to view LEU. (The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid review page.) The information will include all Pell Grants received over a lifetime from any college, not just South Louisiana Community College. If 600 percent of lifetime eligibility is not used, some Pell Grant eligibility may be remaining, if eligible.

For additional information on the Pell Grant program, please visit

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG money is limited and available only for those who have exceptional financial need.

Students with exceptional financial need are those who are eligible for a Pell Grant, have the lowest expected family contribution, are enrolled at least half-time, and still have unmet financial need.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program encourages and provides part-time employment for students to help meet their cost of attending college. Hourly wages must not be less than the federal minimum wage. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of the application process for FWS assistance. The FAFSA can be completed on the web at

Community Service (CMS) jobs are defined as positions that improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or solve particular problems related to their needs including on-campus child care services that are open and accessible to the community. CMS also includes services to students who have disabilities and are enrolled in school. On-campus jobs can meet the definition of community services, provided that the services are open and accessible to the community and that they meet the other FWS limitations and conditions.

The Family Literacy Program provides literacy or pre-literacy education to children and literacy training for parents or other caregivers of children in the program. It also provides a means of equipping parents or other caregivers with the skills needed to partner with their children in learning as well as providing literacy activities between parents or other caregivers and their children.

Student Eligibility

  • Students must meet the eligibility requirements for student aid. There is no restriction for students who have previously earned a bachelor’s degree (unlike the Federal Supplemental Equal Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and Pell programs).
  • Students must be approved for a federal work-study position by the FWS coordinator before beginning employment,

FWS Requirements:

In addition to meeting the general eligibility requirements, students wishing to be considered for FWS:

  1. Must have financial need as determined by FAFSA, and
  2. Be enrolled (at least half-time) in a course of study leading to a degree or certificate.
  3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Policy can be reviewed at:

Louisiana Go Grant

The purpose of this program is to provide a need-based component to the state’s financial aid plan to support nontraditional and low to moderate-income students who need additional aid to afford the cost of attending college.

Student Eligibility

To be eligible for a Louisiana Go Grant, a student must:

  • Be a Louisiana Resident 1
  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Receive a federal Pell Grant
  • Have remaining need after deducting Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and all federal/state/institutional grant or scholarship aid (“gift aid”) from student’s Cost of Attendance
  • Be a student enrolled at least ½ time basis
  • Transfer and re-entry students are eligible for the award if they meet the other above listed criteria.

Renewal Requirements

  • Must file a FAFSA or the Renewal Application at least annually
  • Continue receiving a federal Pell Grant
  • The Award can be renewed for subsequent years to a maximum lifetime award that correlates to that of the Federal Pell Grant (a student is not guaranteed to receive award in subsequent years).

Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Policy can be reviewed at

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

Direct Loans

You may be eligible for a Direct Loan if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen,
  • Have a high school diploma or its equivalent; and
  • Plan to attend an eligible post-secondary school at least half time

Eligibility for Financial Aid

All students must meet the following criteria to apply for Title IV federal aid (grants, work study, and loans):

  • Be enrolled as a regular student in a degree-granting or certificate program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen (permanent resident).
  • Be enrolled at least half time (most programs-regular semesters; undergraduate, six hours).
  • Not be in default on prior student loans or owe a refund on a federal grant.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress as described in the section Satisfactory Academic Progress for purposes of financial aid eligibility.

There are two kinds of Direct Loans: Subsidized and Unsubsidized.

You are required to begin repaying Direct Loans six months after you leave school or drop below half-time status.

Direct Subsidized Loans

The Federal Subsidized Loan is a need-based loan that must be repaid upon completion of school or interruption of studies. The student who qualifies may borrow up to $3,500 for the academic year as a freshman and $4,500 as a sophomore. All borrowers are required to complete an Entrance Counseling Interview online at the Direct Loan website, i.e., Students are required to be actively enrolled for at least six credit hours each semester to maintain loan eligibility.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Direct Unsubsidized Loans enable students to borrow regardless of need. A Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on need. Interest will accrue on this loan while the student is enrolled and may be paid or capitalized as agreed by the borrower and the lender. If a student elects to pay the interest payments during school, the student can complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) electing to pay. If a student elects to not pay the interest payments during school, the interest will be added or capitalized onto the principal balance at repayment, which means the interest will be added to your principle balance.

Direct Plus Loans for Parents

The Direct Plus Loan for Parents allows parents of dependent students to borrow per year up to the cost of education less any other aid. The repayment period begins on the day the loan is disbursed, and the first installment to the Department of Education is due within 60 days of that date. This loan is not based on need.

The parent applying for the loan is responsible for repaying the loan. In this case, parent means your parent, adoptive parent, or step-parent.

A PLUS loan is available without regard to financial need and may include the full cost of education minus other forms of financial aid. The lender is required, however, to verify that the parent borrower does not have an adverse credit history.

First Time Borrowers

Federal regulations require that the college delay delivering the proceeds of educational loans to
first time borrowers until 30 days after the start of classes. In addition, all first time borrowers
must receive loan counseling before loan funds can be disbursed. Students must complete a
Master Promissory Note and entrance loan counseling at

Books/School Supplies

If a student is eligible to receive a Pell Grant or student loan and has authorized aid, or their account has a credit balance (it will appear as a negative balance) after all tuition and fees have been paid and the student has authorized the college to use their Title IV funds to pay noninstitutional charges, students may purchase books in the college contracted bookstore using a book voucher

Financial Aid Payments in Excess of Tuition/Fees/Books

At the time financial assistance is disbursed or credited to a student’s account, valid outstanding charges will be deducted and any applicable excess credit balance will be refunded to the student within 14 days after the credit balance appears on the student’s account. Refunds are delivered to students through Bank Mobile (formerly Higher One) based on the student’s Refund Selection Preference. SLCC will NOT issue refund checks, so students MUST select a refund preference online through Bank Mobile (formerly Higher One).

Mandatory Exit Interview

Each loan recipient is required by federal regulations to participate in an exit interview at the time the student ceases to attend South Louisiana Community College at least half-time. Students should go to the Financial Assistance office at their respective campus for this exit interview before the student withdraws, graduates, drops to less than half-time, or completes his/her last semester at SLCC. Students can also complete an exit interview on the Internet at

Veterans’ Benefits

SLCC Veterans Affairs counselors serve as certifying officials who act as a liaison between the Department of Veterans Affairs and the veteran student. This involves assisting with a variety of processing and information needs such as documentation requirements, correspondence, and the certification benefits.

Discharged servicemen, reservists, those currently in the armed forces, or qualified dependents who plan to attend SLCC’s must apply for certification to the regional Veterans Administration through SLCC’s Veterans Affairs Office. Services which are provided to qualified recipients include:

  1. Counseling-academic
  2. Tutoring
  3. Liaison with personnel from the Veterans Administration

If you have questions that are not answered here, please contact a SLCC’s Veterans Affairs counselor directly at 337-521-9621 or

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

The federal government mandates that students maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of their degrees, certificates, or technical diplomas within a reasonable period of time in order to be eligible for Title IV financial aid programs (including grants, work study, Stafford, PLUS, and Perkins loans).

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is defined as:

  • Earning (passing) a required number of hours (67% of all hours attempted) and
  • Achieving a required grade point average (see cumulative GPA chart  in section E)

Total attempted hours must not exceed 150% of the published length of the student’s degree, certificate, or technical diploma program.

Disclosure Statement

Students are expected to monitor their own SAP and consult with the Office of Student Financial Assistance when they have questions or concerns. The Office of Student Financial Assistance provides written or electronic notice to students at the end of each semesters where students are on warning, probation, academic plan, or suspension status. It is imperative that students keep their mailing and email addresses (preferred) updated with South Louisiana Community College and check their SLCC email (preferred) and LoLA accounts on a regular basis. Failure to monitor SAP or lack of understanding of how SAP works is not a basis for an appeal.

Terminology Guide

  • Appeal/Extension- The process by which a student who is not meeting satisfactory academic progression standards must petition the committee for reconsideration of his/her eligibility for federal student aid funding
  • Qualitative- The qualitative standard is the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). The qualitative standard requires that as the number of hours attempted increases, the student’s cumulative GPA increases. SLCC students will need to achieve a cumulative GPA relative to the total number of hours attempted as outlined in the “Cumulative GPA chart ” in section E.
  • Quantitative/Pace- The quantitative measure is the measure, i.e. “Pace,” at which the student is progressing. A standard calculation used is to divide the cumulative course hours completed/earned by the cumulative/total course hours attempted.
  • Maximum Time Frame- Students may receive federal financial aid if they have attempted below 150% of the hours required to complete their program.

To determine the maximum allowable hours for a specific program of study, all students are expected to reach their chosen academic goal by the time the student has attempted 150% of the credit hours required for the student’s degree, certificate, or technical diploma.

SAP Timeline/When is SAP Reviewed?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be reviewed and determined:

  1. Before aid is initially awarded and
  2. After each period of enrollment/semester and/or
  3. After summer session if applicable

SAP Measures

How is SAP reviewed? Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be measured in three areas- qualitative, quantitative, and maximum time frame

  1. Qualitative Measure (GPA)

The qualitative standard is the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). The qualitative standard requires that as the number of hours attempted increases, the student’s cumulative GPA increases. SLCC students must achieve a cumulative GPA relative to the total number of hours attempted.

All grades attempted (for major) will be considered. These include, but are not limited to, courses passed, courses failed, courses from which the student withdrew (officially or unofficially), repeated courses, transfer courses, and remedial/developmental coursework.

  1. Quantitative Measure- Pace
  • In calculating the quantitative measure, South Louisiana Community College will measure the “Pace” at which the student is progressing. In measuring a student’s “Pace,” SLCC requires that students complete a minimum of 67% of hours attempted and hours earned with passing grades. This is done by dividing the cumulative (total) number of successfully completed hours by the cumulative (total) numbers of attempted hours.
  • All hours attempted will be considered. These include, but are not limited to, courses passed, courses failed, courses from which the student withdrew (officially or unofficially), repeated courses, non-credit, and remedial/developmental coursework.
  • SAP will be met if the student is achieving the appropriate cumulative GPA (see “Cumulative GPA chart ” in section E), and the Pace is equal to 67% or higher, and the student has not reached 150% maximum time frame allowed for their degree, certificate, or technical diploma. (See the following section on “Maximum Hours Allowed”)

(Example: total attempted hours= 43, total hours earned=24. The requirements of 43 total attempted x 67%=29 hours that must be earned. If a student only earned 24 hours, then the student does not meet SAP).

  1. Maximum Hours Allowed

Students may receive federal financial aid if they have attempted below 150% of the hours required to complete their program. To determine the maximum allowable hours for a specific program of study, refer to Program Section and determine the total number of hours required for the program and multiply that figure by 1.50.

(Example: If the degree program requires 60 hours to complete the program, multiply 60 hours x 1.50 = 90. The maximum allowable attempted hours for the degree program in this example = 90 hours.)

Hours attempted include all hours pursued, earned, withdrawn, and failed. All of these hours are counted as attempted even if the student did not receive aid.

Appeals Process

Students who do not meet SAP standards and are placed on a financial aid suspension have the right to appeal to the Office of Student Financial Assistance if the student’s loss of eligibility occurred due to a mitigating circumstance or mitigating circumstances.

  • A mitigating circumstance is an unusual, unexpected, or non-recurring event beyond the student’s control. Examples of mitigating circumstances for which an appeal may be filed include, but are not limited to, personal illness, injury, undue hardship, or death in the student’s immediate family.
  • All students appealing their loss of eligibility must complete an appeal and/or extension form that may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Assistance or via the College’s website:
  • The student MUST submit supporting documentation along with the appeal form. Lack of supporting documentation may result in denial of the student’s appeal.

Multiple appeals for the same mitigating circumstance(s) are not allowed. Submitting an appeal does not guarantee that financial aid will be reinstated.

  1. Appeal Denied

If the appeal is denied, the student must regain eligibility by enrolling at his/her own expense and earning the appropriate cumulative GPA and meeting Pace progression standards.

  1. Appeal Approved

If the appeal is approved, the student will be placed on either probation or academic plan.

  • Probation- If it is determined that it is possible for the student to meet SAP standards within one semester, the student may be placed on a probation status. During this probation period, the student will be eligible to receive federal financial aid. If the student fails to meet SAP standards at the end of the probationary period, the student will be ineligible for federal financial aid.
  • Academic plan- If it is determined that it is impossible for the student to meet SAP standards within one semester, the student will be placed on academic plan. Students are given specific requirements to show continual progression in order to stay in good standing with SAP in order to remain eligible to receive Title IV federal aid.
  • The academic plan requires 100% successful completion, no drops or withdrawals, and a specified GPA. Students cannot receive any F grades while on an academic plan. Failure to adhere to this plan may result in a denial of federal student aid.

While on academic plan, the student may continue to receive federal financial aid as long as the student adheres to the academic plan. The student’s academic plan may be evaluated at the end of each semester. An academic plan varies in length and is determined by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee, and/or academic affairs advisor. If the student is not successful in his/her academic plan, the student may become ineligible for federal financial aid and may need to file another appeal if his/her two attempts have not been exhausted.

Re-establishing Financial Aid Eligibility

Students must enroll and be actively attending in order to re-establish financial aid eligibility. Students who do not meet SAP standards have two options to be eligible to receive financial aid for future semesters:

  1. Attend at their own expense without the benefit of federal financial aid.
  2. Appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.

If a student chooses to sit out or attend another school for a period of time, he/she will be required to meet the SAP standards for the semester in which he/she re-enrolls at SLCC. (Sitting out has no bearing on regaining eligibility.)

Transfer Students

Transfer students are required to meet the minimum academic standards set by SLCC in order to receive federal financial aid. A transfer student must supply the Office of Admissions with transcripts from all previous institutions attended.

  • Once all academic grades and credit hours accepted at SLCC are reviewed, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will determine eligibility based on SAP standards.

Transfer credits that count toward the student’s current program must also count as both attempted and completed hours.

Dual Enrollment Students

Students enrolled in the dual enrollment, and all other high school students taking college courses during high school will have these courses evaluated when matriculating at South Louisiana Community College.

The qualitative standard is the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). The qualitative standard requires that as the number of hours attempted increases, the student’s cumulative GPA increases.

Program Measured Clock Hour/Cosmetology Students

Students may receive federal financial aid if they have attempted below 150% of the hours as measured by the cumulative number of clock hours they are required to complete in their programs. (SLCC normal SAP policy regulations apply.)

  • A student in a clock hour program cannot receive federal financial aid for hours beyond those required in the program. For example, if the program equals 500 clock hours, the student cannot exceed 750 clock hours (500x150%=750).

The maximum allowable time frame applies to the amount of calendar time the student takes to complete those hours. For example, if it takes 2 calendar years to complete the program, the student cannot exceed 3 calendar years (2 x 150%=3).

Scholarship/Grant Only Students

Students who are enrolled on a scholarship or grant but are not receiving federal financial aid will also have all courses reviewed and counted when assessing academic progression

Progression Standards

  1. Developmental/Remedial

Developmental/remedial courses will be counted toward a student’s qualitative and Pace progression standards for SAP. However, a student may receive financial aid for a maximum of 30 semester hours of developmental/remedial courses as long as the courses are required as a result of placement testing, the student is in an eligible program of study, and SAP requirements continue to be met.

  1. Repetitive Coursework

Repetitive (repeated) courses will count toward a student’s hours attempted. Repeated courses that were previously failed are counted in hours pursued and, if successfully completed, hours earned.

  • Students are allowed to retake a previously passed course. A passed course is any course in which a student earns a grade of “D,” “C,” “B,” or “A.” HOWEVER, financial aid will not cover the cost of re-taking any previously passed course for the second time. Example: if a student receives a grade of “D” in the fall and receives a “C” in the spring for the same course- the student cannot retake the course for the third time AND receive financial aid for the same course.
  • If a student withdraws before completing the course, then the federal student aid funding may not be counted as his/her allowed retake course.
  1. Withdrawals, Non-Credit Courses, and Incomplete Grades

A grade of “W” will not be used in calculating a student’s grade point average. However, in measuring a student’s adherence to the SAP standards, all credit hours for courses in which a student receives a “W” will be included in the number of semester hours attempted. An “I” (incomplete) will be considered an “F” until a letter grade is assigned in its place. Non-credit courses or audited courses will not be counted in hours attempted. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Student Financial Assistance of grade changes.

  1. Academic Amnesty

Academic amnesty does not affect or alter the student’s financial aid records for financial aid eligibility. All courses, hours attempted, and grades will be counted and considered for financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students who are granted academic amnesty have the right to request a financial aid appeal. (See “Re-establishing Financial Aid Eligibility.) Academic amnesty does not change or revise a student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility. All academic grades as well as credits attempted and earned are reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Assistance’s SAP committee.

Return of Federal Title IV Funds

When a student completely withdraws from the College during an academic period for which he or she is a recipient of Title IV funds, the College is required to determine whether the return of Title IV funds must be made according to statutory and regulatory requirements. The rules that govern the return of Title IV funds assume that a student earns his or her aid based upon the period of time that the student remains enrolled.

Explanation of terms:

  • Disbursements/disburse/disbursed - payment of the grants and/or loan funds to the student by the school.
  • Earned - the percentage amount of Title IV aid student is eligible for based on time in academic period.
  • Unearned - the difference between Title IV aid that was disbursed or could have been disbursed for the payment period of enrollment and the amount of Title IV aid that was earned when a student withdrew.

During the first sixty percent (60%) of an enrollment period, a student “earns” Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time that he or she remains enrolled. The percentage of time during an academic period that a student remained enrolled is the percentage of disbursable aid for that period that the student earned.

Assistance is “disbursed” if a student could have received it at that point of an academic period when the student withdrew from the College. Total disbursable assistance includes the amount of funding that was disbursed and that which could have been disbursed but was not based on the student’s date of withdrawal. A student who remains enrolled at the College beyond the sixty percent (60%) point of an academic period is presumed to have earned all aid for that period. Unearned Title IV funds, other than Federal Work Study, must be returned.

Unearned assistance is the amount of disbursed Title IV funds that exceeds the amount of Title IV funds earned under statutory and regulatory guidelines. The responsibility to repay unearned Title IV funds is shared by the College and the student in proportion to the Title IV funds each is assumed to possess. The College will notify, in writing, (within 30 days of the date of school’s determination of withdrawal) a student who is required to repay and return unearned Title IV funds prior to the end of the enrollment