Apr 03, 2020
The Associate of Applied Science in Application Software Development is designed to prepare students to perform tasks associated with developing and modifying software applications. The program will have a strong focus on programming, which will include various languages such as Java, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, PHP, SQL and etc. In addition, students will be taught to edit, debug, and test existing programs as well as create their own programs. Graduates will be prepared for careers in a variety of entry-level positions in fields involving software applications and programming, such as database programmer, web developer, software support technician and software tester.
- Graduates will acquire occupational competencies in programming and software development.
- Graduates will be introduced to widely-used programming languages and build proficiency.
- Graduates will obtain the knowledge to develop custom software solutions for complex business environments.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Applied Science in Application Software Development will:
- Be able to design, write, debug and test application software.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to install, configure, troubleshoot, maintain and optimize computer systems.
- Be able to use a variety of scripting tools and languages to automate routine tasks and enable clients to import, export, and access useable data.
- Be able to employ critical thinking to find software solutions.
- Be able to develop integrated software solutions, using relevant methodologies, polices, and standards.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Science Degree in Application Software Development from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have earned two-thirds of credits in degree-required major courses at SLCC and have no more than 50 percent of total degree-required credits from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Area Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 42
General Education Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 15
- ENGL 1010 3 Credits
- MATH 1105 3 Credits
- Social/Behavioral Science1 3 Credits
- Humanities2 3 Credits
- Natural Science3 3 Credits
Other Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 3
CTS: Application Software Specialist Total: 18
Associate of Applied Science Total Credits: 60
Must have a grade of “C” or higher in all courses.
1Choose from Anthropology (ANTH), Criminal Justice (CJUS), Economics (ECON), Geography (GEOG), Political Science (POLI), Psychology (PSYC), or Sociology (SOCI).
2Humanities options: HIST, 2XXX ENGL (except ENGL 2045 and 2070), or CMCN (except CMCN 1170, 1270, and 2145)
3Choose from Biology (BIOL), Chemistry (CHEM), Geology (GEOL), Physical Science (PHSC), or Physics (PHYS).