Sep 22, 2023
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technical Studies is designed to provide students an opportunity to earn an associate degree in areas in which the college does not offer specialized degree programs. All students will complete fifteen credit hours of general education courses. The program is not designed for transfer, but it is designed to prepare students for immediate employment.
- To enable students to acquire occupational competencies in a specific technical education field along with basic general education competencies.
- To enable students to develop unique career goals and marketable skills for the workplace in the chosen field.
- To provide students an opportunity to transfer the general education courses to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state of Louisiana.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies will be able to:
- Perform basic mathematical functions needed to solve problems related to the chosen subject area.
- Communicate effectively using written English to produce coherent documents.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety procedures and practices, safety equipment, regulations and reporting requirements.
- Understand basic management skills such as decision-making, planning, quality control, and effective communication.
- Use computers to access resources and to manipulate information.
- Identify and interpret the data.
- Demonstrate competency in the chosen subject area concentration.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies from South Louisiana Technical College (SLCC) must:
- Complete a Technical Diploma in one of the following programs: Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Diesel Powered Equipment Technology, Electrician, Industrial/Agriculture Mechanics Technology, Machine Tool Technology, Nondestructive Testing Technology, or Welding.
- Complete 15 hours in General Education Requirements.
- All students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average to remain in good standing with the college.
- Students must receive a “C” or better in all courses of this program.
Component I: Technical Area Coursework
(45 Total credit hours)
(Complete a Technical Diploma in a technical area that does not offer an AAS degree)
- Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Powered Equipment Technology
- Industrial/Agriculture Mechanics Technology
- Machine Tool Technology
- Nondestructive Testing Technology
Technical Diploma: 45 Total credit hours
Component II: General Education Courses
(15 Total credit hours)
General Education Courses Required:
Associates of Applied Science: 60 Credits