Jan 24, 2021
The Associate of Applied Science degree program in Business Administration covers a broad field of business fundamentals like accounting, economics, finance and marketing and teaches both management and leadership skills. Upon successful completion of general education and specific program courses, students will acquire the knowledge and skills to apply management, marketing and accounting concepts to improve operational performance and aid in decision-making skills. With an associate degree in Business Administration, students will have the tools necessary to land an entry-level management position, to pursue further education with a business Bachelor’s degree, or to run a small business.
- Graduates will possess the necessary skills to use technology effectively to both develop and apply other competencies.
- Graduates will possess knowledge of the functional areas of accounting, marketing, finance and management.
- Graduates will possess knowledge of the legal, social, global and economic environments of business.
- Graduates will possess the ability to communicate effectively.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will be able to apply basic accounting principles and concepts by completing a simulation of the accounting cycle.
- Graduates will be able to prepare a business plan.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate and apply effective written, oral, and nonverbal communication techniques in a variety of organizational situations.
- Graduates will be able to critically apply ethical reasoning to business situations.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business Administration from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Earn a grade of “C” or higher in each course required for the AS degree, at a total of 60 credit hours, of which 19 credit hours should be in general education courses.
- Earn a minimum of 25% of the credits toward the degree in residence at SLCC.
- Earn at least one-half of the credits in the major through courses taken at SLCC.
- Earn a minimum program cumulative grade point average of 2.0, as well as, an adjusted SLCC cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Developmental courses do not count towards any degree credits.
General Education Requirements
(19 Total credit hours)
(2 Total Credit Hours)
CTS: Administrative Support Specialist Total: 17
Associate of Applied Science Total Credits: 60
1 Humanities options: CMCN, ENGL Literature, FREN, HIST, SPAN, SPCH
2 Social/Behavioral Science options: ECON, GEOG, POLI, PSYC, SOCI
3 Choose from BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, PHSC, PHYS. Most science lecture courses have an associated lab course, which is a required co-requisite.