Sep 22, 2023
The Associate of Applied Science in Application Software Development is designed to prepare students to perform tasks associated with developing and modifying software applications. The program will have a strong focus on programming, which will include various languages such as Java, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, PHP, SQL and etc. In addition, students will be taught to edit, debug, and test existing programs as well as create their own programs. Graduates will be prepared for careers in a variety of entry-level positions in fields involving software applications and programming, such as database programmer, web developer, software support technician and software tester.
- Graduates will acquire occupational competencies in programming and software development.
- Graduates will be introduced to widely-used programming languages and build proficiency.
- Graduates will obtain the knowledge to develop custom software solutions for complex business environments.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Applied Science in Application Software Development will:
- Be able to design, write, debug and test application software.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to install, configure, troubleshoot, maintain and optimize computer systems.
- Be able to use a variety of scripting tools and languages to automate routine tasks and enable clients to import, export, and access useable data.
- Be able to employ critical thinking to find software solutions.
- Be able to develop integrated software solutions, using relevant methodologies, polices, and standards.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Science Degree in Application Software Development or a Technical Diploma in Application Software Development from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Earn a grade of “C” or higher in each course required, which is a total of 60 credit hours (16 credit hours should be in general education courses) for the AAS and a total of 45 credit hours for the TD.
- Earn a minimum of 25% of the credits toward the degree in residence at SLCC.
- Earn at least one-half of the credits in the major through courses taken at SLCC.
- Earn a minimum program cumulative grade point average of 2.0, as well as, an adjusted SLCC cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Developmental courses do not count towards any degree credits.
Major Area Requirements
(43 Total credit hours)
(2 Total Credit Hours)
CTS: Application Software Specialist Total: 17
Technical Diploma Total Credits: 45