Aug 06, 2020
This program prepares students for employment in a variety of healthcare settings with an emphasis on cross-training in areas of Nurse Assistant, Electrocardiogram (EKG) and Phlebotomy. Supervised and/or preceptor based clinical experiences are included. Students should note that some courses have prerequisites, which must be completed before enrolling into upper level courses and continuing in the program. Upon completion of this program, graduates are eligible for certification as Nurse Assistants (CNA) and can sit for National Certification exams in EKG Skills, Phlebotomy or Patient Care Technician (PCT). Graduates are also eligible to apply for state licensure in Phlebotomy with the Board of Medical Examiners.
- To enable students to acquire the educational competencies expected of a certificate of technical studies graduate
- To teach basic theoretical and clinical concepts which will prepare students for entry-level as a CNA, EKG technician, Phlebotomist, or PCT.
- To provide students with an opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to function effectively in the workplace
Expected Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Certificate of Technical Studies in Patient Care Technician will:
- Comprehend introductory anatomy & physiology principles; healthcare laws and ethics, administrative office procedures, technical skills associated with performing EKGs and drawing blood, communication, and professionalism needed for success on the job.
- Demonstrate skills training and clinical experiences necessary to secure employment in the health care industry and make immediate and future decisions regarding job choices and educational growth.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn the Certificate of Technical Studies in Patient Care Technician must:
- Be a minimum of 17 years of age
- Submit a History & Physical examination report certifying they are physically and emotionally fit for the program
- Provide recent (less than one year) TB skin test or Chest x-ray
- Submit proof of current immunizations
- Pass a background check
- Pass a drug screen
- Possess a CPR card for Basic Life Support for HealthCare Providers
- Purchase the required class and clinical uniform(s), and supplies as outlined by instructor
- Adhere to HIPAA and other confidentiality clauses involving client care or clinical training
- Arrange transportation to clinical sites or any additional trainings or extra-curricular activities
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in each course used in the major (coded HNUR, HCOR, HEKG,HPTL,BOTH,CPTR, MCIS, MAST)
- Earn a minimum program cumulative grade point average of 2.0 as well as an adjusted SLCC cumulative grade point average of 2.0
Curriculum Structure- Concentration
(26 Total credit hours)
- Patient Care Technician Core courses: 24 credits
- Other Requirements: 2 credits
TCA: Nurse Assistant and EKG Technician Total: 13
Certificate of Technical Studies Total Credits: 26