Aug 06, 2020
(Currently Administered by Corporate College)
This program prepares students for employment in long-term care facilities, home health agencies, and hospitals where basic bedside nursing care is needed. Students participate in classroom and clinical activities under the direct supervision of qualified faculty. Upon successful completion of this program the graduate is qualified for state certification as a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA). This program meets the requirements established by Louisiana’s Department of Health & Hospitals.
- To enable students to acquire the educational competencies expected of a technical competency area graduate
- To teach basic theoretical and clinical concepts which will prepare students for entry-level as CNAs
- To provide students with an opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to function effectively in the workplace
Expected Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Technical Competency Area in Nurse Assistant will:
- Comprehend basic clinical skills necessary to assist with nursing care and professionalism needed for success on the job.
- Demonstrate skills training and clinical experiences necessary to secure employment in the health care industry and make immediate and future decisions regarding job choices and educational growth.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn a Technical Competency Area in Nurse Assistant must:
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Submit a History & Physical examination report certifying they are physically and emotionally fit for the program
- Provide recent (less than one year) TB skin test or Chest x-ray
- Submit proof of current immunizations
- Pass a background check
- Pass a drug screen
- Obtain CPR for Healthcare Provider certification
- Purchase the required class and clinical uniform(s), and supplies as outlined by instructor
- Adhere to HIPAA and other confidentiality clauses involving client care or clinical training.
- Arrange transportation to clinical sites or any additional trainings or extra-curricular activities
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in each course used in the major (coded HNUR)
- Earn a minimum program cumulative grade point average of 2.0 as well as an adjusted SLCC cumulative grade point average of 2.0
(4 Total credit hours)
- Nurse Assistant Core courses 4 credits
- HNUR 1211 Nursing Fundamentals I 4 Credits
TCA: Nurse Assistant Total: 4