Jan 24, 2021
This program prepares students for employment in private and large group physician’s offices, clinics, hospitals, medical records, laboratories and/or insurance companies. Supervised and/or preceptor based clinical externships are included. Students should note that some courses have prerequisites, which must be completed before enrolling into upper level courses and continuing in the program. Upon completion of this program, graduates are eligible to sit for the National Certification exam for Medical Assistants.
- To enable students to acquire the educational competencies expected of a certificate of technical studies graduate
- To teach basic theoretical and clinical concepts which will prepare students for entry-level as Medical Assistants (MA)
- To provide students with an opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to function effectively in the workplace
Expected Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Certificate of Technical Studies in Medical Assistant will:
- Comprehend introductory anatomy & physiology principles; MA law and ethics, administrative and clinical procedures, pharmacology, coding & insurance procedures and professionalism needed for success on the job.
- Demonstrate skills training and clinical experiences necessary to secure employment in the health care industry and make immediate and future decisions regarding job choices and educational growth.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn the Certificate of Technical Studies in Medical Assistant must:
- Submit a History & Physical examination report certifying they are physically and emotionally fit for the program
- Provide recent (less than one year) TB skin test or Chest x-ray
- Submit proof of current immunizations
- Pass a background check and a drug screen.
- Possess a CPR card for Basic Life Support for HealthCare Providers
- Purchase the required class and clinical uniform(s), and supplies as outlined by instructor
- Adhere to HIPAA and other confidentiality clauses involving client care or clinical training.
- Arrange transportation to clinical sites or any additional trainings or extra-curricular activities.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in each course used in the major (coded MAST, HCOR, MCIS, ENGL)
- Earn a minimum program cumulative grade point average of 2.0 as well as an adjusted SLCC cumulative grade point average of 2.0
30 Total Credits
Medical Assistant Core Concentration
(28 Total credit hours)
- Other Requirements - 2 credits
TCA: Unit Secretary Total: 15
Certificate of Technical Studies Total Credits: 31