Nov 18, 2018
The Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer (ASLT) degree is a statewide transfer program, which provides opportunities to acquire knowledge in a broad range of subjects, with an emphasis on science. This is accomplished through strengthening skills necessary for problem-solving, critical thinking, and scientific reasoning by creating learning environments suited to individual learning styles.
A degree will be awarded upon the completion of a 39 credit hours General Education block, which is the core of the Louisiana Transfer Degree, as well as an additional 21 credit hours block, for a total of 60 credit hours. Students who have completed this degree (ASLT) will be granted upper division (junior) status at a Louisiana four-year public university.
All students who might be considering an eventual transfer from one institution to another should develop, with an advisor’s assistance, a written degree plan of courses to take. It is the student’s responsibility to know the transfer admission requirements and to be as prepared as possible to compete for a place in the program.
- To enable students to acquire the general education competencies expected of an Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer graduate
- To provide coursework that will allow students to transfer with minimal or no loss of credit to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the State
- To connect core knowledge and skills to discipline-specific information
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer degree will:
- Demonstrate competence in written and verbal communication skills, quantitative reasoning and critical thinking
- Acquire a broad knowledge of the natural sciences in the areas of both biological and physical sciences
- Acquire a broad knowledge of human behavior and the interrelationships between the individual and societal, political and economic systems, based on scientific inquiry
- Be critical thinkers with sufficient analytical and specific skills to process information at a higher level of study
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associates of Science Degree in Physical Science from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have no more than one-third credit hours in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 10
- MATH Courses 2 Credits
- GEN.ED. XXX1 Natural/Physical Science Courses 8 Credits
General Education Requirements
(Total credit hours 39)
Elective Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 12
GEN.ED. XXX1 Natural/Physical Science Courses or GEN.ED. XXX1 Humanities Courses 12 Credits
AS: Louisiana Transfer Total Credits: 61
A grade of “C” or higher is required in all courses.
2 One course must be 2XXX Level.
4 Choose course options for Science Majors. Students may not choose BIOL 1000, BIOL 1002, GEOL 1030, PHSC 1100, PHSC 1200.
5 Choose from ENGL Literature (ENGL 2XXX) except ENGL 2045 and ENGL 2070.