The Digital Media Design program is designed for artists and designers interested in acquiring technical skills as well as exploring the fields of digital media. Employers are looking for qualified candidates who not only understand technical aspects, but also know how to prepare projects and develop content. This program provides a concentrated overview of print design, digital video production, and web design while incorporating artistic and design issues, and introducing industry standard software.
Digital media designers use graphics, animation, video, and text to inform and entertain audiences. Exciting opportunities for creativity and technical competence incorporating communication, computers, and art are offered in this rapidly growing field. Students are trained in graphic arts, digital media, interactive media, web design, photo editing, 3D modeling, animation, video editing, and special effects. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment growth in digital/interactive media, film production, and graphic design is expected to increase through the century. Employment opportunities include careers in graphic design, web design, advertising, public relations, marketing, and publishing.
- Develop an artistic foundation that incorporates traditional art and digital media studies. To skillfully use a variety of industry standard software, hardware, and production methods. Develop critical thinking skills in written analysis of text and visual media objects. Draw on a rigorous combination of theory, analysis and hands-on digital art in making original work in digital media.
- Collaborate with teams to bring ideas from concept to production.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Applied Science in Digital Media Design will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of visual theory, design principles and design elements.
- Demonstrate proficiency in industry standard software.
- Demonstrate collaborative skills by successfully completing team-oriented projects.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associates of Applied Science in Digital Media from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have no more than one-third credit hours in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 42
General Education Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 15
Elective Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 3
AAS: Digital Media Design Total Credits: 60
A grade of “C” or higher is required in all courses.
4 Social/Behavioral Science GEN.ED. XXX1 , Humanities GEN.ED. XXX1 , Natural/Physical Science GEN.ED. XXX1 , French (FREN), Spanish (SPAN), First-Year Seminar (SFSE), Computers (MCIS), Accounting (ACCT), Business (GBUS), Speech (SPCH), Math (MATH), Theater (THEA), Music (MUSC), or Fine Art (ARTS).