Mar 31, 2023
Return to: Programs
The Diesel Powered Equipment Technology program prepares individuals to become diesel service technicians and mechanics. Individuals learn to inspect, maintain, repair, and overhaul equipment for the agricultural, construction, and transportation industry.
- To encourage students to become critical thinkers and lifelong learners within the industry
- To provide a continuous supply of qualified technicians to meet growing industry needs
Program Learning Outcomes
All graduates of the Diesel Powered Equipment Technology program will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to work around potential safety hazards such as rotating equipment, lifting and suspension equipment used in the industry.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in the skills necessary to enter the workplace as an entry-level technician.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with others in the field as a diesel technician and display a professional attitude towards the profession.
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose, repair or replace defective components on diesel-powered equipment.
- Demonstrate the ability to use proper diagnostic tools and equipment in modern machinery.
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose and service Diesel engine Exhaust aftertreatment.
Associate of Applied Science Technical Studies - Diesel Powered Equipment Technology
Students interested in an associate degree should visit Technical Studies, AAS for more information.
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn a Technical Diploma in Diesel Powered Equipment Technology from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Have no more than one-third credit hours in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
Major Requirements - Total Credit Hours: 45
CTS: Diesel Engine Tradesman Total: 18
TD: Diesel Powered Equipment Technician Total Credits: 45
A grade of “C” or higher is required in all courses.
Return to: Programs