May 31, 2020
The Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer (ASLT) degree is a statewide transfer program, which provides opportunities to acquire knowledge in a broad range of subjects, with an emphasis on science. This is accomplished through strengthening skills necessary for problemsolving, critical thinking, and scientific reasoning by creating learning environments suited to individual learning styles.
A degree will be awarded upon the completion of a 39 credit hours General Education block, which is the core of the Louisiana Transfer Degree, as well as an additional 21 credit hours block, for a total of 60 credit hours. The courses required for the general education block are listed below. The remaining 21 credit hours should be completed within the subject areas of Natural Sciences. However, 12 of the 21 additional credits may be substituted for Humanities electives. Students who have completed this degree (ASLT) will be granted upper division (junior) status at a Louisiana four-year public university.
All students who might be considering an eventual transfer from one institution to another should develop, with an advisor’s assistance, a written degree plan of courses to take. It is the student’s responsibility to know the transfer admission requirements and to be as prepared as possible to compete for a place in the program.
- To enable students to acquire the general education competencies expected of an Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer graduate
- To provide coursework that will allow students to transfer with minimal or no loss of credit to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the State
- To connect core knowledge and skills to discipline specific information
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer degree will:
- Demonstrate competence in written and verbal communication skills, quantitative reasoning and critical thinking
- Acquire a broad knowledge of the natural sciences in the areas of both biological and physical sciences
- Acquire a broad knowledge of human behavior and the interrelationships between the individual and societal, political and economic systems, based on scientific inquiry
- Be critical thinkers with sufficient analytical and specific skills to process information at a higher level of study
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associates of Science Degree in Physical Science from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Have a degree program adjusted SLCC cumulative average of 2.0.
- Have earned at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through SLCC courses.
- Have earned at least a “C” in each course unless stated by a specific program.
- Used no more than one-third credit in required major courses and no more than 50 percent of credit hours total from non-traditional sources, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), to meet the degree requirements, unless required by a specific program.
- Have completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree program.
General Education Requirements
(Total credit hours 39)
- English Composition 6 Credits
- Mathematics/Analytical Reasoning 6 Credits
- Natural Sciences 11-12 Credits
- Humanities 9 Credits
- Social Sciences 6 Credits
- Fine Arts 3 Credits
(Total 13-17 credit hours)
In Natural Sciences (up to 12 credits may be substituted by Humanities electives)
Associate of Science Total Credits: 60
Must have a grade of “C” or higher in all courses.
1 Must have six hours from the General Education courses in Social Sciences: PSYC, SOCI, POLI, GEOG, ECON or CJUS; one course must be at the sophomore level.
2 Select from ARTS, MUSC or THEA.
3 Humanities General Education courses may be taken from HIST, 2XXX ENGL Literature (except ENGL 2045 and 2070) or CMCN (except for CMCN 1170, 1270 and 2145). If HIST is taken for both Humanities General Education requirements, it is recommended the HIST courses should be in sequence for best transferability.
4 2XXX ENGL Literature (except ENGL 2045 and 2070)
5 Select from from BIOL/CHEM/GEOL/MATH/PHYS
25% (15 credits) must be completed at SLCC to qualify for ASLT-Physical Science Degree.