Aug 06, 2020
The mission of the Aviation Maintenance Technology program is to provide a safe training facility and healthy learning environment that will prepare students for certification by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in Airframe and Power plant Maintenance. The Aviation Maintenance Technology certification process consists of three separate tests designed to determine competency in the General, Airframe, and Power plant sections. In addition, three separate oral and practical tests are administered by an FAA designated examiner. Upon successful completion of the nine tests, the graduate is awarded the FAA Airframe & Power plant Mechanic Certification.
The Aviation Maintenance Technology program encourages students to become critical thinkers and lifelong learners and establishes a working relationship between students and employers that promotes upgrading of skills for continued advancement in the field of aviation maintenance.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Aviation Maintenance Technology program will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate competence in written and verbal communication skills, quantitative reasoning and critical thinking.
- Acquire a broad knowledge from the FAA designated courses in the areas of general, airframe and Power plant studies.
- Acquire knowledge of human factors and the interrelationships between the individual, the work crew, the maintenance facility and the Federal Regulatory Authority (FAA).
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Earn a “C” or better in the core general education, specific courses and all courses (AVMT code) in the major areas.
General Education Requirements
(16 Total credit hours)
- English 3 Credits
- Mathematics 3 Credits
- Natural Science/Lab 4 Credits
- Social/Behavioral Science 3 Credits
- Speech Elective 3 Credits
Specific Curriculum Requirements
(63 Total credit hours)
CTS: Airframe Structure Mechanic Total: 16
Technical Diploma Total Credits: 65